This photo of the Chicago Green Festival can’t even capture all the fun being had:
- Artterro bookmaking project – Story Time Yoga
- Hula hoops & balance boards – Delicious snacks from Cliffbar
- Two very different petting zoos (one with fuzzy bunnies and one with less fuzzy millipedes, roaches, worms and tarantulas!)
It’s huge, right? Actually, this big, unfriendly giant is made up of only a fraction of the Styrofoam containers that the New York city school system uses Every Single Day. Now that is scary. But it also seems like something that would be easy to fix, if enough people speak out about it. The Green Festival is a great place to learn about problems while simultaneously brainstorming solutions and making connections with others who want to help.
3. Delicious Organic/ Fairtrade/ Handmade/ Heirloom/ Raw/ Nutritious FOOD!
There was something for everyone in Chicago, from raw lemon bars to vegan lasagna. I think we sampled every brand of fair trade chocolate known to man. Yum.
4. The message of “Less Consumerism and Better Consumerism.”
So many of us buy more than we need, wasting money, resources and space. Events like the Green Festival remind us of the cost of excessive consumerism, and also give us great alternatives to consider. Some of our favorites from the festival are Mata Traders for gorgeous fair trade dresses and accessories handcrafted by a women’s cooperative in India, Malia Designs for beautiful bags and wallets that support organizations dedicated to ending human trafficking, and Cliffbar, one of the event’s sponsors and a great green business role model.
5. Meeting future leaders of the Green Movement:Seeing so many kids running around the Green Festival, learning about their world and what they can do to protect it from harm, is so inspiring and hopeful! These kids will grow up very aware of the challenges we face and they’ll have the tools they need to think of CREATIVE solutions!
Thanks to everyone at Green Festivals for organizing a wonderful event and inviting us to be a part of it. You inspire us!